Thursday, June 09, 2011

3rd Doctor's Appointment...

Today I had my monthly appointment with Dr. D. It went well as far as the babies are concerned but I have to say I was a little annoyed with the doctor by the time I left. I love Dr. D, she has been my ob/gyn for like 18 years (seriously!) but today was my first appointment with her for this pregnancy. So when she came into the room she was like are you kidding me?? So I just laughed and said "I guess you weren't expecting to see me here for this, huh?" and she came back with "You did this on purpose, you wanted more kids." we went back and fourth with it for a little bit and I explained to her what had happened with the birth control pills that she put me on. Her reply was, "well, you just weren't careful enough then." I told her the same thing that I told John... There is a BIG difference between saying that maybe one day I will want more kids and taking a home pregnancy test and getting a positive response! She then proceeded to say "well, you're getting your tubes tied after they are born." I told her that I wasn't getting my tubes tied that John and I have already talked about it and he is going to get "fixed". Dr. D then said when you have your c-section we'll just do it then! I said "no we won't because I'm not having a c-section. I'm going to have these babies the good old fashioned way, just like last time. She then proceeded to look into my file, turned to me and said "well, most twins are born via c-section.. you just lucked out last time. We'll just tie your tubes if you end up with a c-section so then John doesn't have to do it." WHAT???? John is fine with doing it and said it is what he will do.

First off there are a few things that really bother me about this whole conversation...

A. It's no ones business if John and I planned to get pregnant or not. I don't feel that I need to defend that to anyone. It's our choice, not anyone elses.
B. That someone would seriously tell me that I'm getting my tubes tied without me saying it's what I want.

There is so much more wrong with today's appointment but I'm not going to go into it because I'm getting more and more annoyed just by rehashing it here.

Anyway, Dr. D then grabbed her tape measure to measure my belly and the Doppler to find the babies heartbeats. I laid back on the table and she did her measurements and then put the Doppler on my belly and found the first heartbeat. I told her where the ultrasound tech told me the babies were sitting so it might be easier for her to find the heartbeats. She moved the Doppler a little bit and then was like "it's next to impossible to tell the difference in the heartbeats" and that she would see me in 4 more weeks. She said the next appointment will be uneventful but then the next one 4 weeks later will be where they do the sugar testing thing.

I scheduled my next appointment and called John as soon as I walked out of the office to tell him about what happened. He couldn't believe it. Well, actually he could. He said that sometimes Dr. D is just standoffish like that. I'm going to give her the benefit of doubt and maybe she was just having a bad day, or maybe she was on call all weekend and was exhausted. I don't know but I have to say I was a bit upset about the visit.

Both babies are doing well and growing like they should be so that's a good thing and I'm happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home